Siirry sisältöön

The Beach Pavilion

The beach pavilion at Louhisaari Manoris a former bathhouse, the first part of which was built in the early 1820´s as part of Louhisaari Manor’s English landscape park. The building is the oldest known private bathhouse in Finland. The style of the building is empire.

The beach pavilion consists of two parts that are from different times. The older part, the manor end, includes a salon and two rooms, one of which was probably originally a bath chamber. The roof trusses are from 1822, therefore the older part of the building is also most likely from this time. Sometime before 1836, probably in 1825, two additional rooms were built. One of these rooms was most likely also a bath chamber. This extension is on the seaside of the building.

In the beginning of the 20th century, the building was no longer used as a bathhouse and the bath chambers were converted into a bedroom and a kitchen. At this time, thebuilding was further extended with a privy and a woodshed, that was demolished in 1971.

During the 1960´s, what was assumed to be the bathhouse’s original plan, was found. It is signed A. F. Granstedt and depicts only a part of the building, which was assumed to be the manor end of the bath house. Closer examination reveals that the plan is more likely a plan for the seaside, an extension which does not appear to have been constructed fully according to the plan.

Originally, the beach pavilion was located right on the shore, but as a result of land uplift, the sea has receded by half a kilometer.