The paneling in the room’s window niches dates from the 1760s, while the painted decorations are from the 1880s. In the early 1800s, the walls were covered with stencil decorations painted in blue on pasted paper, covering the entire wall; during restoration, a fragment of this was left visible on the window wall. The magnificent Empire-style tiled stove dates from the early 19th century.
The portraits above the piano depict Count Carl Erik Mannerheim, the first owner of Louhisaari from the Mannerheim family, and his wife Vendla Sofia (Sofie) von Willebrand (1779–1863). The paintings were signed by the Polish-born artist Josef Oleszkiewicz in St. Petersburg in 1822 and 1825. The portrait painted by J. E. Lindh above the sofa depicts their son, Count Carl Gustav Mannerheim, in the official robes of the President of the Court of Appeal. The oval portrait of Sofie Mannerheim was painted by August Tholander around 1860. The small oval portrait depicts, among others, Baron August Mannerheim (1805–1876), a State Councilor and Chamberlain known as a caricaturist, who also served as Governor of the Bank of Finland.
The furnishings in this room give an idea of just how large Biedermeier furniture could be. C.E. Mannerheim’s inventory for this room at Louhisaari mentions a mahogany sofa, twelve armchairs, and eight “window chairs,” a type designation that appears in inventories from the late 18th and early 19th centuries and is open to interpretation. The term appears as early as the Gustavian period and is clearly associated with several different chair models, so it is assumed that the term refers to the chair’s placement by the window. In keeping with the custom of the time, the furniture is protected by removable covers, which were removed from the seats only for large celebrations.
The chairs in the room represent a style that was in use in both St. Petersburg and Helsinki. The sofa, on the other hand, is typical of Biedermeier sofas made in Turku. The coffee table, the stove screen, the music stand, the grand piano made by the Wirth factory in St. Petersburg, and the piano stool are from Louhisaari.